Francisco de Goya, at 82 and exiled
in Bordeaux with the last of his lovers, Leocadia Zorrilla de
Weiss, begins to reconstruct for his daughter Rosario the events
that marked his life. A life that was affected by political unrest,
poisoned passions and the ecstasy of fame. He will recall the young
ambitious Goya in his struggle to climb the slippery steps of
Carlos IV's court, where he experienced recognition and fortune,
palace intrigues and games of seduction and lies. He will also
remember his only true love, the Duchess of Alba, a woman who
reshaped his life and the history of his day, although their
relationship was frustrated by poisonous conspiracies.
Awards and festivals
- Five Goya Awards (2000):
* Best Leading Actor: Francisco
* Best Photography: Vittorio
* Best Art Direction.
* Best Costume Design.
* Best Makeup and Hairstyling.
- Five Nominations in the Goya
* Best Supporting Actor: José
* Best Editing: Julia Juaniz.
* Best Sound.
* Best Special Effects.
* Best Production Supervision.
- Best Cinematography at the
European Film Awards