The film tells the epic story of an
expedition that took place between 1560 and 1561, headed by Pedro
de Urs£a, in search of "El Dorado." The territory they explored
subsequently became Colombia. Three hundred men sold their property
and souls to travel down the biggest and least known river in the
world. After the rebellion of Lope de Aguirre (who took over
command) against Philip II, the king of Spain, this expedition
became one of the best-known episodes in the conquest of "The New
World." Accompanied by a team of all types, Lope de Aguirre's
adventure will end in tragedy, exposing the full range of human
Awards and festivals
* Nominated to Nine Goya Awards (Spanish Academy Awards):
- Best Original Score: Alejandro Massó.
- Best Photography: Teo Escamilla.
- Best Editing: Pedro del Rey.
- Best Sound.
- Best Special Effects.
- Best Art Direction.
- Best Costume Design.
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling.
- Best Production Supervision.
* Official competition at the International Film Festival of