The Spanish Civil War has started
and Fernando, a young army deserter, is on the run. That is until a
retired and solitary artist takes him under his wing and offers him
his help, house and friendship.
The arrival of the artist's four
beautiful daughters has Fernando embarking on a wonderful romantic
adventure as he woos one sister after another. A stylish romantic
comedy that inserts a parenthesis in history and in which the
freedom of youth and the joy of uncomplicated sex are colorfully
Awards and festivals
* Official Competition at the
International Film Festival of Berlín.
* Oscar for Best Foreign Language
* BAFTA Film Award for Best Film not in the English
* Nine Goyas Awards (Spanish
- Best Film.
- Best Director: Fernando
- Best Leading Actress: Ariadna
- Best Supporting Actress: Chus
- Best Supporting Actor: Fernando
- Best Original Screenplay: Rafael
Azcona,Fernando Trueba,José Luis García Sánchez.
- Best Photography: José Luis
- Best Editing: Carmen Frías.
- Best Art Direction.
* Eight Nominations at the Goya
- Best Leading Actor: Jorge
- Best Supporting Actress: Mari
- Best Supporting Actor: Gabino
- Best Original Score: Antoine
- Best Sound.
- Best Costume Design.
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling.
- Best Production supervision.